Friday, June 8, 2012

Carbs, How I Love You

What I am missing one right now... my carbs!

I haven't cut carbs, that would be insanity, but I have limited them... severely. I used to eat carbs for every meal. Here is how my meals used to go.

Breakfast: 2 slices of Raisin Bread (100 calories each) or, on Friday I would have a donut (300 calories)


Lunch: Leftovers from dinner the night before like pasta, fried rice, or delicious enchiladas (around 600 calories)



Dinner: More carbs! Pasta, rice dish, mexican dish, burgers, or pizza (my fav). (1000 calories)



Snacks: Cookies (100 calories each and I would have 5), ice cream (200 calories for half a cup), or a nighttime peanut butter and jelly (250 calories), ect...



Doesn't that sound yummy? Cuz it sure is!

This is what my meals are like now.

Breakfast: Yogurt (100 calories), a banana (100 calories), or a grapefruit cup (50 calories).



Lunch: Chicken or turkey salad that is either garden, mexican, or asian (350 calories).


Dinner: Vegetable pasta, vegetable rice, vegetable pizza, or something else veggie heavy. (750 calories)



Snacks: Carrots (35 calories), string cheese (100 calories), granola bar (100 calories), or half a cup of frozen yogurt (110 calories).



Do you see the change? There are a lot more veggies, a lot more fruit, more dairy, and a lot less sugars and bread and deliciousness. This is not a bad thing. I enjoy what I eat, but I miss some of my other foods. I allow myself homemade pizza once a week because it is my favorite food and it is a luxury, but when we make it at home, I can determine how much oil, how much cheese and how much meat I put on it.

Since ground turkey was on sale at Sunflower last week, we bought a bunch and I am substituting turkey for beef wherever I can. Turkey is almost half the calories of beef, so it is totally worth it to substitute. And, after eating chicken and fish for the last 8 weeks, it is good to have a little more variety to my food.

But, I really really miss my massive amounts of pasta, cookies, cake, donuts, bread, and carby deliciousness. Mmmm.... They say you are suppose to stop craving things, but I haven't stopped craving my carbs and sugars.

But, when I have splurged and eaten fattening things that are high in butter or oil, I find myself feeling sick to my stomach, so my body must be changing a little. They say it takes a few months to reset your brain to desire healthy foods rather than unhealthy foods. I'm ready for the reset. But, they also say you can reset your brain to desire unhealthy foods in one week. Apparently, it is a lot harder to go healthy than it is to go unhealthy.

1 comment:

  1. All those pictures of food look yummy to me...both healthy and unhealthy...but mostly the donuts. Mmmm....now my baby wants me to give him food. Maybe I'll have a bagel. Carby goodness.

    ReplyDelete